Saturday, May 23, 2009

the tunnel


Last night, a mythical creature crept into my bed. It took me in its virulent embrace, crushed my ribs and made a paste of my flesh. Liquid, I flowed out. The monster watched with disdain.
I remember the weight of the snake on my chest, its bone crushing chill. Eyes, dim. Not really doing what it was… bells rang somewhere…. Amid misty dawn it kept on crushing me until I was… I was and was not beyond that.
Close by a young priest sang a hymn.
The snake waited… destined to wait… wait and crush… crush until eternity.
Gods made a mistake and they corrected it. When Nahush fell on the earth, it was raining. After an eternity, it does not rain anymore. A blurred thin line demarcates the forest and the desert.
His vision retains the curse.
Did they look into his eyes as they drove the nail in his palms? Did father look at his children?
Back in my slumber, Nahush did not see me. He was just waiting. Weighty wait went on till the day woke up. I was no more.
Someone has stolen the balance from Yudhisthira. It would take a while before he finds his way in the forest now. For the time being, we’ll have to wait. Nahush will have to wait. And the rains…
They say Monsoon will be early this year….
At the hilltop temple, the deity for now has gone out for a dive in the sea… Radha loves pearls!!
db

No comments:

Post a Comment